I replaced my voltage regulator on my 1994 Softail but the instructions say that the power lead should go to the aux terminal on the main breaker. Problem is bike has been customized and no longer has fuse block. The regulator I took off had lead connected directly to the battery. Is that okay? If so should I put an inline fuse? Please Help!
It is OK that the regulator lead goes directly to the positive side of the battery, but you should always have a protection device (properly sized amperage rating fuse, fusible link, or circuit breaker). The reason is if the regulator sticks open and over charges the battery
(even a sealed one) it will boil over and the acid will destroy everything it touches (seat , chrome ,paint etc.)